CLICK HERE to vote for Wesley Wildcat in Mascot Challenge
UPLAND, Ind. -- A 26-7 run with 10 minutes to play allowed No. 9 Indiana Wesleyan University men’s basketball to turn a nine point deficit into a 75-69 win in the IWU-TU Rivalry Game sponsored by Marion General Hospital. The County rival led 53-44 with 10:33 on the clock but the huge Indiana Wesleyan run put the Wildcats up 70-60 with two minutes remaining.
- Score: Indiana Wesleyan - 75 | TU - 69
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 21-6, 11-4 Crossroads League | TU 17-10, 8-7 Crossroads League
- NAIA Top- 25 Rank: Indiana Wesleyan - No. 9 | TU - Receiving votes (No. 26)
- Location: Odle Arena | Paul Patterson Court | Upland, Indiana
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Lane Mahurin and Bob Peters are Indiana Wesleyan’s top two leading scorers with a combined 37 points per game. The pair was held without a point until a Lane Mahurin free throw with 5:12 left in the first half. Mahurin scored the first field goal between them with 1:37 left before halftime.
- The Indiana Wesleyan bench held a 34-7 advantage. IWU had 27 of 33 first half points come from the bench as Ben Carlson and Saikou Jallow each contributed 11 points.
- Bob Peters scored 13 points which all came in the final 10 minutes of the game.
- The Wildcats shot 28-of-36 (77.8-percent) from the foul line while the home team was 13-of-17 (76.5-percent).
- Indiana Wesleyan committed just 10 turnovers while IWU forced the host into 20.
- The Wildcats have won 11 straight in the series and 17 of the last 19. Greg Tonagel is 22-5 all-time in the series.
COACH TONAGEL SAYS…
- “We weren’t sharp and dug a hole early. They came out and fought. We challenged them at the heart level during halftime. We played as five individuals and we needed to come together and play like a team.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- Indiana Wesleyan hosts No. 19 Saint Francis (Ind.) on Saturday at 3 p.m. in Luckey Arena. The game is the second half of the men’s and women’s doubleheader.