Mt. Vernon Nazarene (Ohio)
Men's Basketball - Tue, Feb. 14, 2017
MARION, Ind. -- Grant Zawadzki saved the best for last as he tallied all nine of his points in the final three minutes in an 84-80 win over Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) in the final regular season game in Luckey Arena. Zawadzki’s heroics began with a pair of free throws to give IWU a one point lead as the Wildcats improve to 23-6 on the season.
- Score: Indiana Wesleyan - 84 | Mount Vernon Nazarene - 80
- Records: Indiana Wesleyan 23-6, 13-4 Crossroads League | Mount Vernon Nazarene 19-10, 8-9 Crossroads League
- NAIA Top- 25 Rank: Indiana Wesleyan - No. 9 | Mount Vernon Nazarene - Not ranked
- Location: Luckey Arena | Indiana Wesleyan University | Marion, Indiana
- Lane Mahurin: 20 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists
- Jacob Johnson: 23 points, 10-15 FG, 7 rebounds
- Bob Peters: 12 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists
- Grant Zawadzki: 9 points, 6-6 FT
- Ben Carlson: 12 points, 5-8 FG, 4 rebounds, 2 steals
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- Mount Vernon Nazarene led 73-68 with 4:27 left to play. Indiana Wesleyan responded with nine straight points to take a 77-73 lead with 1:38 to play.
- MVNU fouled Grant Zawadzki with 22 seconds left and IWU clinging to an 81-80 advantage. He hit both free throws for the three point lead. MVNU was able to take a pair of 3-point shot attempts in the final 10 seconds but were unable to hit the game-tying bucket.
- All nine Grant Zawadzki points came in the final three minutes. He hit a key 3-pointer to put IWU up 77-73.
- Indiana Wesleyan attempted 19 more free throws in the game while MVNU shot 17 more 3-point attempts.
COACH TONAGEL SAYS…
- “We had timely plays tonight. Whether it was having a good possession and finishing it off or making free throws they came through in the end. We played better this time against them. We had chances to put them away but give them credit as they stayed in it. But at the end I was proud of our guys for making plays down the stretch. This is experience we can gain something from.”
NEXT TIME OUT
- Indiana Wesleyan completes the regular season on Saturday at Spring Arbor (Mich.) with a 3 p.m. tip-off.
|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh 19-10, 8-9 CL||35||45||80|
|Indiana Wesleyan 23-6, 13-4 CL||40||44||84|
|Feb. 14, 2017|
|#20 Brett Vipperman - 19||Points
||#44 Jacob Johnson - 23|
|#21 Josh Ashwill - 12||Rebounds
||2 Players (#23,#44) - 7|
|#2 Joey Schmitz - 5||Assists
||#23 Lane Mahurin - 5|
|52.6% (30 - 57)
||Field Goals %
||57.1% (28 - 49)|
|48.1% (13 - 27)
||3 Point Field Goals %
||50% (5 - 10)|
|58.3% (7 - 12)
||74.2% (23 - 31)|
|6||2nd Chance Pts